24th ANNUAL KEEPERS' WEEKEND
-- OCTOBER 12 & 13, 2018 -- Historic Beaufort, Harkers Island, & Cape Lookout
24th ANNUAL KEEPERS’ WEEKEND in Beaufort, NC
October 12-13, 2018
Friday, October 12 (starts at 1:00 p.m.)
- Double-decker bus tour of Beaufort
- Walking tour of Beaufort Burying Ground
- Walking tour of historic Beaufort
- 6:00pm -- dutch treat meal at the Sanitary Restaurant in Morehead City
Saturday, October 13 (starts at 9:00 a.m.)
- Continental breakfast at the Cape Lookout National Seashore Headquarters, Harkers Island
- Greeting by Jeff West, Superintendent of the Cape Lookout National Seashore
- Talk on the "Shackleford Horses" by Dr. Sue Stuska, Cape Lookout National Seashore
- Talk on "The Lighthouse in the Civil War" by Karen Duggan, Cape Lookout National Seashore
- Ferry to Cape Lookout, South Core Banks
Box lunch (download form above, fill out, and submit to make your lunch choice)
- Climb the Cape Lookout Lighthouse
- Optional "beach taxi" trip (4 miles) to Cape Point for shelling
- Optional visit to the Core Sound Waterfowl Museum on Harkers Island
- Evening Banquet and Program at the North Carolina Maritime Museum, Beaufort
The cost of Saturday ONLY is $75.00 per person.
The optional trip to Cape Point is $10.00 per person.
The cost of Friday and Saturday is $100.00 per person.
Note: Registration fee includes a donation to organizations which are hosting us gratis.
CLICK HERE TO JOIN OUR SOCIETY!! -- https://www.outerbankslighthousesociety.org/join.html
In 2016 Hurricane Matthew disrupted our Keepers' Weekend planned for Cape Lookout and the weekend was cancelled for the first time in our Society's history. So 2018 is our Cape Lookout Reboot!
Join us Friday afternoon for a double-decker bus tour of historic Beaufort, and walking tours of Beaufort and the Beaufort Burying Ground. On Saturday, we will gather for breakfast at the Cape Lookout National Seashore headquarters on Harkers Island and be greeted by the Superintendent of the Seashore, Jeff West. There will also be speakers on the famous Shackleford horses and the lighthouse during the Civil War. We will then take a ferry ride over to Cape Lookout and enjoy a box lunch (use the form to order your lunch) and then climb and tour North Carolina's oldest coastal tower, the Cape Lookout Lighthouse. An optional tour of Cape Point will also be offered.
Later, on Saturday evening come enjoy a Beaufort Grocery Banquet (salmon & BBQ chicken as well as vegetarian options) at the Beaufort Maritime Museum with guest speakers and our always exciting live auction, silent auction, and the announcement of our raffle ticket winners!