23rd ANNUAL KEEPERS' WEEKEND
-- OCTOBER 6, 7, & 8, 2017 -- Southport, Bald Head Island, & Oak Island
23rd ANNUAL KEEPERS’ WEEKEND in Southport, NC
October 6-7-8, 2017
Friday, October 6 (starts at 1:00 p.m.)
- Guided tour of Oak Island Lighthouse
- Tour of Southport Maritime Museum
- Annual Banquet at Jaycee Building (6:00 p.m.) The banquet is a casual, traditional Eastern North Carolina BBQ and fried chicken feast with all the fixin’s.
Saturday, October 7 (starts at 9:00 a.m.)
- Coffee and doughnuts at Southport Visitor Center at Fort Johnston
- Tour local cemeteries for placing of markers at Keepers’ graves
- Bag lunch (download form above, fill out, and submit to make lunch choice)
- Ferry to Bald Head Island
- Climbing the Bald Head Lighthouse
- Optional tour of Bald Head Island
The cost of Friday ONLY is $60.00 per person.*
The cost of Saturday ONLY is $40.00 per person.*
The cost of Friday and Saturday is $100.00 per person.*
The optional trip on Bald Head Island (Saturday) is $15 per person.
Note: Registration fee includes a donation to museums and lighthouses which are hosting us gratis.
*NOTE: These prices are for official members of the Outer Banks Lighthouse Society.
Not a member? Visit to join. We would love to have you join us!
CLICK HERE TO JOIN!! -- https://www.outerbankslighthousesociety.org/join.html
This year our celebration will recognize the 200th Anniversary of the 1817 Bald Head Island Lighthouse, fondly known as “Old Baldy.” But our weekend will include so much more!
Beginning at midday on Friday, October 6th, all participants will get a tour of North Carolina’s newest lighthouse on Oak Island, built in 1959. There will also be a tour of the Southport Maritime Museum followed by our annual Keepers’ Weekend Banquet featuring North Carolina barbecue and fried chicken (as well as vegetarian options).
Saturday’s program will include a very important tour of cemeteries and gravesites of local lighthouse keepers at three locations to recognize and place official US Lighthouse Service markers at each gravesite. We will then have a bag lunch (use the registration form to order your lunch) and take a ferry to Bald Head Island where we will get a tour of the newly renovated lighthouse by island historians.